In August 1999, a Redwall television series was produced by Nelvana, a Canadian animation studio. It spanned three seasons, the first based on Redwall, the second based on Mattimeo and the third based on Martin the Warrior. To date, production has officially ended. The series airs re-runs on some PBS channels in the U.S., and occasionally airs on Teletoon in Canada. Each episode is around 22 minutes in length, 30 minutes with commercials.
Brian Jacques introduced each PBS episode, which also closed with an educational featurette that offered a lesson on an aspect of the show. These featurettes were never included in DVD or home video releases.
The first episode aired September 12, 1999; the final episode was aired February 19, 2001.
The TV series first aired in the United States via PBS on April 1, 2001, and ended on July 28, 2002.
Redwall was originally created by Cambridge Animation Systems' Animo software, which is now property of Toon Boom Animation Inc. as of January 2009.
The production company for the Redwall TV series was Molitor Productions Ltd.
Executives & Crew
- Directors: Raymond Jafelice (Redwall / Mattimeo), Luc Bihan (Mattimeo / Martin the Warrior)
- Co-director: Pascal Pinon
- Assistant Directors: Tony Tarantini, Karen Lessmann, Brian Lee, Sean Jeffery
- Executive producers: Michael Hirsh, Christian Davin, Patrick Loubert, Clive A. Smith, Dan Maddicott, Peter Volkle, Ramsay Cameron
- Supervising producers: Stephen Hodgins, Patricia R. Burns, Jocelyn Hamilton
- Line producers: Lynne Warner, Corine Marcel, Marissa Collyer, Reka Temple
- Adapted by: Michelle Goodeve, Brian Jacques, Glenn Norman, Steve Roberts, Tony Roberts
- Story Editor: Steve Roberts
- Music Supervisor: Stephen Hudecki
- Music assistant: Helena Werren
- Sound editing and supervision: Super Sonics Productions Inc, Scot McCrorie, Christopher G. Harris, Evan Turner, Hamish MacKenzie, Sheila Murray, Richard Omari Segal, Gregg Downing, Alfie Pucchio
- Sound re-recording mixer: Michael Liotta
- Sound Mixer: Tim Regan
- Score Composed by: Acrobat Music
- Casting and Voice Directors: Jessie Thomson, Karen Goora
- Casting Administrator: Karyn Tester
- Casting Co-ordinator: Christine Geddes
- Casting Assistant: Carrie Justason
- Developer: Steve Roberts
- Film editing: Christopher Gould
- Production Supervisors: Steve Chadwick, Ruta Cube, Brad Markewitz, Akos Sarenczky, Bea Banyasz
- Pre-Production Supervisor: Liza Vespi
- Pre-Production Editing: Terry Carter, Rick Dubiel, Curtis Harry, Ken Hurlbut, Steve Keeping, Lex MacCrimmon, Colin McMahon, Shelley Mills-Hughes, Richard Segal, Kent Theaker, Geoff Walton, Henry Watkins, Peter Winninger
- Production Managers: Diane Dallaire, Marissa Collyer, Istvan Erdos
- Production Coordinators: E. Stephanie Kravos, Frederique Monfort, Claire Dame, Wendy Courtney, Andrew Fineberg, Syuyoung Park, Ryan Kuba
- Production Assistants: Caroline Simmons, Stephen Lategan
- Production Secretaries: Anthony Henry, Suzanne Belec
- Technical Team: Zsolt Fabian
- Script Co-ordinator: Karen Moonah
- Creative consultant: Chris Baker
- Design supervisors: Alan Knappett, Rob Shedlowich, Loryane Tunley
- Design coordinators: Marta Matson, Sheila Dinsmore, Dan Mokriy (compositor), Sheila Rogerson
- Design facility: Wack Wack Studio
- F/X supervisor: Mike McKay
- Special Effects designer: Lorenzo Del Bianco
- Director's Notes: Niall Johnston, John De Klein
- Lip Sync: Cathy Parkes
- Overseas supervisors: John De Klein, Simon Ward Homer
- Designers: Todd Kauffman, KoKo Maung, Mark Poulin, Pat Rowsome, Marijan Trpkovic, Christopher D. Williams, James Wood, Isabelle Python, Katia Surmenian, Jean-Charles Ripell
- Key animation/animation posing supervisor: Cynthia Ward
- Storyboard Artists: Karen Lessman, Aare Voitk, Raymond Jafelice, Dimitrije Kostic, Patricia L. McDougall, Andrew Tan, Brian Lee, Rui Albino, Bob Muller, Christophe Huthwol, Thierry Martin, Stephane Vermuelen, Pascal Pinon, Gilles Dayez, Jean-Pierre Jacquet, Frank Ramirez, Mitch Manzer, Kerry Sargent, Karen Lloyd, Jun Nasayao, Steven Ahola, Lisa Whittick (uncredited)
- Storyboard Clean-up Artists: Jun Nasayao, Scott Bennett, Kevin Klis, Jim Nakashima, Winky Wong, Russ Tonks, Dave Pietila, Terry Rotsaert
- Storyboard Coordinators: Allan Parker, Dinah Postma
- Storyboard Clean-up Supervisor: Dave Quensnelle
- Layout Artists: Vincent Simpson, Luc Latulippe, Gord McBride, John Riley-Cooper, Chris Minz, Daniel Poitras, Frank Ramierz, Gordon Hargreaves, Greg Gibbons, Tony Tarantini, Evan Purcell, Heidi Blomkvist, Michael Daze, Ron Wilson, Chad Hicks, Peter Hugean, Kevin Klis, Karen Moonah, Suzanne J. Cardona, Dennis Gonzalez, Tom Crook
- Layout Supervisors: Paul Riley, John Stevenson, Lyndon Ruddy, Eugene Hawkley, Ron Wilson
- Color stylists: Trudy Binder, Dylan Wickware
- Colorist: Colin Moore
- B'grounds: Mike Doherty, Michael Hitchcox, Christine Rother
- Background supervisor: Sandra Catherine Yeaman
- Background artists: Gary Hunt, Don Gauthier
- Paint and Compositing: TV-Loonland AG
- Video Technician: James Jacobs
- Sound Effects Editors: Ryan Araki, John Baktis, Evan Turner, Eric Mattar-Hurlbut, Hamish MacKenzie, Craig Marshall
- Supervising Sound Editor: Scott McCrorie
- Recording Assistants: Edmond Chan, Kerry Bones
- Re-Recording Engineer: Andy Koyama
- Music Editors: Peter Branton, Anthony Crea, Mike Northcott
- Dialogue Editors: Keith Traver, Brian Fraser, Sean Pearson, Peter Winninger, Ken Hurlbut, Terry Carter, Geoff Walton, Rob McMahon
- Translation: Francoise Boublil, Jean Helpert
- Toutenkartoon: Frederic Mauxion (production manager), Sylvie Atorres, Pascal Jardin (assistant director), Stephane Pogran (technical advisor), Jean-Michel Spiner (studio manager)
- Post Production Director: Rob Kirkpatrick
- Post Production Managers: Lan Lamon, Daphne McAfee
- Post Production Administrator: Ann McGuire
- Post Production Supervisor: Samara Melanson
- Post Production Co-ordinator: Brian Marsh
- Post Production Assistants: Joey Aguiar, Michael Goldsmith
- Supervising Sound Editor: Steve Cole
- Picture Editor: Al Maciulis, Richard Bond, Karen Saunders
- On-line Editor: Brian Karn (uncredited)
- Business & Legal Affairs: Suzanne L. Cross
- Assistant Picture Editors: Graham Long, Doug Appeldoorn, Mia Randles
- Supervising Pre-Production Editor: Darrell MacDonald
- Supervising Breakdown Editor: Rick Dubiel
- Recording and Transfer Technician: Mike Reid
- Animation Crew: Rg Prince Film Inc.
- Additional Production Facilities: McClear Pathe, Magnetic North
- The soundtrack for the show was performed by the Czechoslovak State Orchestra.
Season 1 - Redwall
- Abbot Mortimer - Chris Wiggins, Jean Berger
- Asmodeus - David Hemblen
- Basil Stag Hare - Richard Binsley, Jean-Claude Donda
- Brother Alf / Cheesethief - John Stocker
- Captain Snow - Richard Denison
- Constance - Janet Wright
- Cornflower - Alison Pill
- Cluny the Scourge - Diego Matamoros, Gabriel Ledoze
- Fangburn / Killconey / Shrew #1 - Lawrence Bayne
- Foremole / Shrew #2 - Graham Haley
- Guosim - Marion Day
- Jess Squirrel - Susan Roman
- John Churchmouse - John Gilbert
- Log-a-Log - Bruce Dow
- Martin the Warrior / King Bull Sparra / Darkclaw - Ben Campbell
- Matthias - Tyrone Savage, Emmanuel Garijo
- Young Matthias - Marc Donato
- Mattimeo - Cole Caplan
- Methuselah - Wayne Robson
- Myrtle - Alyson Court
- Plumpen - Adrian Egan
- Ragear - Dan Hennessey
- Redtooth / Friar Hugo - Andrew Gillies
- Sela - Julie Lemieux
- Shadow - François Klanfer
- Chickenhound / Mingo / Bigwing - Jonathan Wilson
- Squire Julian Gingivere - Keith Knight
- Warbeak - Tracey Moore
- Wild Ivy - Know her?
- Farlo - Know him?
- Glendel - Know her?
- Matthias's father - Know him?
- Saffron - Know her?
- Jennie - Know her?
- Colin Vole - Know him?
- Mr. Vole - Know him?
- Mrs. Vole - Know her?
- Shrewbabe - Know her?
Season 2 - Mattimeo
- Abbot Mordalfus / Threeclaws / Skan / Old Rabbit / Guard - John Stocker
- Ambrose Spike - Paul Soles
- Auma - Kristin Fairlie
- Baby Rollo - Ezra Perlman
- Basil Stag Hare / Fleaback / Fengal / Ragwing / Weasel Guard - Richard Binsley
- Cheek - Kyle Fairlie
- Constance / Ghost of Martin the Warrior - Janet Wright
- Cornflower - Melissa McIntyre
- Elmtail - Amos Crawley
- Foremole / Nadaz / Andes / Halftail / Loamdog - Graham Haley
- Flugg / Damper - Raymond Jafelice
- General Ironbeak / Jabez Stump / Skinpaw - Wayne Best
- Jess Squirrel / Rosyqueen Stump - Susan Roman
- John Churchmouse - John Gilbert
- Jube - Ali Mukaddam
- Log-a-Log / Black Robed Rat - Bruce Dow
- Mangiz the Seer / Crow - Chris Wiggins
- Matthias - Tyrone Savage
- Mattimeo - Michael Seater
- Mrs. Churchmouse / Winifred / Sparra - Catherine Disher
- Orlando the Axe / Deadnose / Scringe - Anthony Bekenn
- Sam / Child Tim Churchmouse - Alex House
- Scurl Droptail - Noah Reid
- Sir Harry the Muse / Malkariss / Grubclaw - Andrew Gillies
- Sister May - Fiona Reid
- Slagar the Cruel - Tim Curry
- Stonefleck / Martin the Warrior - Ben Campbell
- Stryk Redkite - Ellen-Ray Hennessy
- Tess Churchmouse / Cynthia Vole / mouse slave - Sarah Gadon
- Adult Tim Churchmouse - Jonathan Wilson
- Vitch / Hedgehog Slave - Jake Goldsbie
- Warbeak - Tracey Moore
Season 3 - Martin the Warrior
- Aryah - Colette Stevenson
- Badrang the Tyrant / Stumptooth - Diego Matamoros
- Ballaw - Andrew Gillies
- Barkjon - Chris Wiggins
- Brome - Luca Perlman
- Felldoh - Ali Mukaddam
- Grumm Trencher - Graham Haley
- Keyla - Noah Reid
- Laterose of Noonvale - Lindsey Connell
- Martin the Warrior - Amos Crawley
- Matthias - Tyrone Savage
- Pallum - Deborah Odell
- Queen Amballa - Tracey Moore
- Rowanoak - Ellen-Ray Hennessy
- Skalrag / Adult Tim Churchmouse - Jonathan Wilson
- Tramun Clogg - John Stocker
- Urran Voh - Gary Krawford
- Wakka - James Rankin
- Martin's Grandmother - Jill Frappier
- Luke the Warrior - Know him?
- Boldred - Know her?
- Celandine - Know her?
- Additional voices - Len Carlson
There are three seasons of Redwall. For more information on individual seasons and episodes, please see their articles:
There are 39 episodes of Redwall.
See a list of all episodes here:
In late 2009, Nelvana signed an agreement with Phase 4 Films to manage their children's show DVD releases. Starting in 2010, the Redwall TV Series has been released by the KaBOOM! Entertainment Inc. division of Phase 4.
See International Redwall DVD Releases for more information.
The Redwall TV Series is available for streaming from Amazon Instant Video, iTunes, and Tubi services. A brand new Netflix Redwall movie and event series is in development as of 2021.
Does Netflix have Redwall?
Yes, Netflix has the series rights to Redwall. It is currently working on a new TV and movie adaptation.
Amazon Instant Video
- Season 1 on Amazon Prime Video
- Season 2 on Amazon Prime Video
- Season 3 on Amazon Prime Video
- Season 1 on Amazon UK Prime Video
- Season 2 on Amazon UK Prime Video
- Season 3 on Amazon UK Prime Video